|Cook Time: 40-45 Min
||Source: Pg 724 - 725 of The Joy of Cooking
1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 cup coffee
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300°f. Grease 13 x 9 inch glass baking pan (if you dont have a glass baking pan, line metal one with parchment paper and watch carefully so cake doesn't burn)
- Combine honey, coffee, vegetable oil, and vanilla in a medium saucepan and cook on low heat until well blended, stirring gently and constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger (and raisins and walnuts if you want) in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a medium bowl on high speed until thick and pale (about 4-5 minutes)
- Beat the cooled honey mixture into the eggs until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, use a fork to poke holes all over the surface.
- Heat honey to lukewarm. Spread the warm honey all over the surface of the cake. Let the cake cool in the pan completely before cutting and serving.
Downloadable Link at top of page!