- a substance that is secreted by honeybees and is used by them for constructing the honeycomb, that is a dull, typically yellow solid that is plastic when warm, and that is composed primarily of a mixture of esters, hydrocarbons, and fatty acids : WAX sense 1
NOTE: Beeswax is typically colorless when first secreted but takes on a yellow or brownish color after bits of pollen, propolis, and other matter becomes mixed in. White beeswax sold commercially consists of yellow beeswax that has been subjected to bleaching or has been filtered to remove impurities. Beeswax is used as an ingredient in various products including candles, cosmetics, and sealants.
- Beeswax is used for high cholesterol, pain, fungal skin infections, and other conditions. But there is no good scientific research to support these uses. (Disclaimer)
- In foods and beverages, white beeswax and beeswax absolute (yellow beeswax treated with alcohol) are used as stiffening agents.
- In manufacturing, yellow and white beeswax are used as thickeners, emulsifiers, and as stiffening agents in cosmetics. Beeswax absolute is used as a fragrance in soaps and perfumes. White beeswax and beeswax absolute are also used to polish pills.
- Beeswax might help lower cholesterol levels, prevent infections, and help protect the stomach from ulcers caused by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Medical Uses: (Disclaimer)
- Burns. Early research shows that applying a gauze with a mixture of beeswax, olive oil, and alkanna to second-degree burns speeds up healing and shortens the time spent in the hospital. Other early research shows that using a particular beeswax cream can decrease itching that occurs when a burn is healing.
- Diaper rash. Early research shows that applying a mixture of beeswax, honey, and olive oil to the affected area four times daily for 7 days reduces symptoms of diaper rash.
- Hemorrhoids. Early research shows that applying a mixture of beeswax, honey, and olive oil to the affected area for 12 hours reduces pain, bleeding, and itching due to hemorrhoids.
- Swelling (inflammation) and sores inside the mouth (oral mucositis). Early research shows that applying a mixture of honey, olive oil-propolis extract, and beeswax to mouth sores caused by cancer treatment helps speed up recovery time in people with severe ulcers. But it may not work as well in people with moderate ulcers. Also, applying honey by itself may work better than the beeswax mixture.
- Ringworm (Tinea corporis). Early research shows that applying a mixture of beeswax, honey, and olive oil to the affected area three times daily for 4 weeks improves ringworm.
- Jock itch (tinea cruris). Early research shows that applying a mixture of beeswax, honey, and olive oil to the affected area three times daily for 4 weeks improves jock itch.
- A common fungal infection of the skin (Tinea versicolor). Early research shows that applying a mixture of beeswax, honey, and olive oil to the affected area three times daily for 4 weeks improves a fungal skin infection called tinea versicolor.
- High levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood (hyperlipidemia).
- Stomach ulcers.
- Other conditions.
- Side Effects - (Disclaimer)
- When taken by mouth: Beeswax is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth as food or as a medicine. While rare, some people may have an allergic reaction to beeswax.
- When applied to the skin: Beeswax is LIKELY SAFE for most people when applied directly to the skin. While rare, some people may have an allergic skin rash after applying beeswax.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There isn't enough reliable information to know if beeswax is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Can be used for Batiking, which is a method of Fabric dyeing in which the fabric is masked off using removable wax so that the dye does not color the masked area. an ideal mixture is said to be 30/70 beeswax and paraffin wax
- Ukrainian egg decorating is also done with beeswax. using the same Batiking method
- Beeswax can also be used in Rust prevention. you can coat things like hand tools, cast iron pieces and shovels to prevent rust.
- beexwax is also used as a weather treatment for wooden handles
- cheese waxing beeswax is the best natrual cover for cheeses if the cheese is wet, you will need to let it dry before applying the hot wax, to assure it will stick.
- beeswax is also commonly used to any one who sews, this allows the thread and needles to glide through the material being worked on.
- the above method can also be used on nails and screws to reduce wood splitting.
- can also be used as a wood lubricant on things like sliding glass doors, windows, and drawers.
- crayons use a 50/50 mix of bar soap and beeswax to stiffen the crayons a bit and use a bit of pigment.
- beeswax has also been used to waterproof shoes and boots.
- used in candles which:
- Lower Toxicity: Because beeswax candles are all natural, they do not produce toxic byproducts and heavy soot when burned. Some types of candles produce minute traces of chemicals known to be carcinogenic, but this is not a problem with beeswax candles.
- Neutralizing Pollutants: Beeswax candles produce negative ions when burned, and those ions help to neutralize pollutants in the air. This helps eliminate dust, odors, and mold in the atmosphere, easing allergy and asthma symptoms and improving breathing for anyone nearby.
- Relaxation: The simple act of burning a candle has relaxing properties and can aid in stress relief and meditation. The mildly sweet, natural honey scent of beeswax candles can aid that relaxation without being overwhelming as artificially scented candles can become.
- Safety: Because beeswax candles are all natural and produce no byproducts, they are naturally dripless when used properly and are thus safer to burn. This avoids the risk of burns and other injuries that can result from burning other types of candles improperly.
- Light: Beeswax candles have the brightest, purest light of any candles and are closest to natural sunlight. If the candles are to be used as a light source, this can help minimize eye strain and reduce headaches.